Friday, June 25, 2010

Manhattan Delicatessen and Bakery Temecula, CA


As I mentioned yesterday, I will be posting my most recent food experiences as they come and give you my honest opinion. Yesterday I dined at the Manhattan Deli and Bakery on a whim with my husband. Knowing how quickly eateries come and go in this town time is always of the essence. This deli is located in the old Ruby's Diner which went out of business last year. It is a red and white themed diner with black and white photos of old New York.

We entered the empty restaurant and opened the menus to find the most extensive list of food options I have ever seen! On the three page menu I found breakfast, salads, appetizers, sandwiches of all sorts including lox and beef tongue, pasta, hot dogs, bakery items, and old fashioned malts. After a few moments of trying to decipher the menu, a friendly waitress brought us a tray of home made dill pickles with sauerkraut and pickled green tomatoes to sample. Always loving a good dill pickle I gladly accepted and dug right in! The pickles were crisp and cucumbery and overflowing with salty coriander. I do have to say they were mighty tasty if you enjoy dill pickles, but even better than the pickles were the pickled green tomatoes! I had never been offered a pickled green tomato before but I was sure glad that I was finally given the opportunity to taste one for myself. The tomatoes were crunchy, salty and flavored much like the dill pickles except they tasted more like a yellow pepper without the heat. They truly were one of the best things I tasted when it came to pickling.

For my meal I ordered the half pastrami sandwich, salad with ranch dressing (good rye croutons but salty), and pasta salad side. Once my order arrived I was blown away to find that the behemoth sandwich in front of me piled high with pastrami on a french roll was only half a sandwich! I topped off my sandwich with spicy brown mustard and the sauerkraut sample given to me as I first sat down. The pastrami was better than most I have eaten with moderate sized slices and very lean. In fact there was so much of it that I had to take half off just so I could actually take a full bite of the sandwich. The pasta salad side was very sweet with tri-colored spiral noodles and a coleslaw cream sauce. I found this side enjoyable after the very salty salad and pickles, but too sweet to take more than a few bites.

Overall I enjoyed the portion sizes and paid a total of $26 for both my husband's (the same meal but a turkey sandwich on rye which was very dry) and my meal, giving this place a rating of 3 out of 5 nibbles. I think that a sandwich lover will truly enjoy this deli if they catch it before it's out of business. Next time I will definitely be trying the foot long chili cheese dog! Happy Nibbling!

No comments:

Post a Comment